Year of foundation – 2009.
Head of the center– Doctor of Technical Sciences, Senior Research Oleksandr Burchak , cell phone +38(067) 737-65-48.
Spectroscopist – Ph.D., Senior Researcher Oleksandr Balalaіev, cell phone +38(095) 843-16-78
Working hours: Monday - Friday from 9.00 to 16.00
Address: Dnipro, Simferopolska, 2а
FTIR – Fourier spectrometer Nicolet iS10
FTIR – microscope Сontinuum,
Manufacturer – Thermo Scientific, USA.
Year of production – 2008.
Smart OMNI-Transmission and Smart Diffuse Reflectance of the FTIR-Fourier spectrometer attachment allows recording the spectra of molecular vibrations of solid and liquid substances both in transmitted and reflected light in the mid and near FTIR range of 350 - 11000 cm-1 with a resolution of 0.5 up to 32 cm-1. The ATR attachment Specac Golden Gate makes it possible to record the spectra of liquids and fine powders when the temperature changes from +90 °С – 150 °С (liquid nitrogen). Samples in solid-phase have an advantage because the solvent can interfere in liquid samples. In particular, water absorbs significantly in the FTIR range.
The sensitive InGaAs matrix MST detector of an FTIR microscope (external attachment to the spectrometer), which is cooled with liquid nitrogen, allows recording FTIR spectra of an even surface for an object in the range of 650 - 5000 cm-1 at magnifications of 150x and 320x. Registration is possible in transmitted, reflected light and ATR from Si and Ge crystals. The aperture can vary from 20 to 150 μm, depending on the experimental conditions, the type of object, and the degree of its FTIR absorption. For examination in transmitted light, samples should be as thin as possible from an FTIR transparent backing. A microscope slide is not suitable for this task since it does not transmit the FTIR ray well.
The motorized object stage allows for surface mapping by the sequential recording of spectra at points with specified coordinates of the object surface. With a large number of points, this procedure takes a long time. For the report, the obtained maps can be stored in graphic files, and for further analysis in the format of hyperspectral images (map) of the common ENVI software package.
Sample weight and volume depend on the test method. Zip-Lock transparent plastic bags are ideal packaging for powder samples. Since FTIR spectrometry belongs to non-destructive testing methods, after measurements the samples can be returned to the consumer. The OMNIC spectra can be stored by software in the form of Excel tables (csv), compressed (jpg), and uncompressed raster (tiff) and vector (wmf) images, in different spectral files formats, where all the parameters of the experiment are stored.
Exterior view of the Center equipment
Institutions and organizations with which the Center cooperated or provided services
- at academic level:
- Institute for Physics of Mining Processes of the NAS of Ukraine (Dnipro);
- Technical Center of the NAS of Ukraine (Kyiv);
- Institute of Geology and Geochemistry of Combustible Minerals of the NAS of Ukraine (Lviv);
- Institute of Geological Sciences of the NAS of Ukraine (Kyiv);
- M. Glushkov Institute of Cybernetics of the NAS of Ukraine (Kyiv);
- Ya. S. Pidstryhach Institute for Applied Problems of Mechanics and Mathematics of the NAS of Ukraine (Lviv);
- V. Kurdyumov Institutefor Metal Physicsof the NAS of Ukraine (Kyiv);
- Iron and Steel Institute of Z.I.Nekrasov of the NAS of Ukraine (Dnipro);
- at interdepartmental level:
- National Technical University "Dnipro Polytechnic" of the MES of Ukraine;
- National metallurgical academy of the MES of Ukraine (Dnipro),
- Ukrainian State University of Chemical Technology of the MES of Ukraine (Dnipro)
- Oles Honchar Dnipro National University of the MES of Ukraine (Dnipro);
- Dnipro Medical Academy of the MOH of Ukraine;
- Vinnytsia National Technical University of Ukraine;
- Dnipro State Agrarian and Economic University of the MES of Ukraine (Dnipro)
- Science and Technology Center of Ukraine, STCU;
- K. Yangel State design bureau "Pivdenne" (Dnipro);
- Dnipropetrovsk Scientific Research Expert Forensic Center of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine;
- Subs. of NJSC “Nadra Ukrayny” Zahidukrgeologiya (Lviv);
- Pavlograd geological prospecting expedition Donbass Geologiya.
Information about the Center on the official website of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine http://www.nas.gov.ua/UA/Department/Pages/default.aspx?DepartmentID=0003485
The last date for updating the information is December 05, 2023.
At the moment, all the equipment of the Center is in working order.